Thread: 2505 servicing
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Radical Lab Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewickt View Post
First get the serial number and find if it has the extra pots. The early models also had a zener diode pair at each input on the board, they have a tendency to short. The best thing to do is remove them as they were not used in later production. I replace the caps on the input board with Nichicon Muse ES and KZ series. Will match replacement caps to schematic when we get serial number.
The 2505 is out of the carton but still screwed to the cardboard base pad. Strangely there is no serial number!! The field is blank as if the paint was removed with a chemical. I have a receipt from EZ Teletronics in Chicago (now defunct) for this amplifier, but Hank didn't write a SN on it like he did for the other Mc Amps I bought there. Another label describes the unit as model 2505-2.

Inside the perforated heat sink covers, the power transistors and other hardware & components have a good bit of crud on them. It could use a thorough cleanup and restoration. Three of the four power supply cans (Caps) have a clear plastic wrap on them.. one can has no wrap. Otherwise it has only very minor nicks and paint wear spots.

The question is, what kind of sound could one expect from this amp if it was fully serviced? and how much of a classic is it?

I know you're thinking that someone stole the unit, well that thought did cross my mind, and prior to today I was not aware of the missing SN. It's weird because I've had it for just about 20 years now.

-Gregory

Last edited by Gregory; 05-13-2009 at 07:42 PM.