View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 12:31 PM

So it was definitely worth the trip....as I expected it to be. What I was not prepared for was how this system significantly and completely raised the bar on what a world class acoustic reproduction system is capable of.

Words that I found myself repeating were Wow, Awesome, Emotional. I listened to a variety of recordings (primarily redbook CD through the dCS, along with some Tidal selections) including female/male vocals, classical, organ, jazz, blues, reggae across a variety of venues. From full scale orchestra to single cathedral organ to jazz quartet.

Majority of the listening included the WAMM and two WAMM subs with controllers (subs cover 32hz and below) and while the WAMMs can easily stand alone....I would only consider buying the full package as the subs added depth and solidity to all the tracks we compared with/without and they demonstrated the speed and naturalness of the WAMM never calling themselves out but always adding to the presentation.

General thoughts

Scale- one of the big bar raisers here. This system can present both simple and complex performances with incredible scale without sacrificing micro detail and nuance. Adding volume did not change the the presentation or compress the soundstage. The performers were presented in realistic size and space - even at higher levels the instrument and vocal presentation retained their natural positioning. Large venues increased the size of the room and small solo vocals (Dean Martin) created a smaller more intimate space.

Reproduction of acoustic venue- this was the biggest surprise and change to my preexisting paradigm. This system was able to accurately and completely transport me into the various acoustic venues of each performance. The room literally disappeared. I have a system that is great at presenting a solid and convincing soundstage but yesterday I was literally taken out of the room and placed in front of each performance.

The two call outs above are the two big game changers compared to my preexisting bar which is not to imply that things like coherency, macro/micro dynamics, incredible soundstage both in depth and width are also not better than I have ever heard...but I think the combination of excellence across all of the normal variables is what drives the incredible scale and complete reproduction of the acoustic venue. Fit and finish and engineering design are also over the top clearly demonstrating Wilson's desire to create something truly special

These are expensive but in my view these are more like medical grade acoustic reproduction devices....using the word speakers to describe the WAMM system seems inaccurate....they are in a whole new class. It's impossible to unhear yesterday's experience....thinking about it