View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custodian View Post
Jacques
Interesting post.

You are right, however DCS use conversion electronics for the inbuilt OCXO to generate the 44.1 and 48 signals.

The Antelope rubidium clock actually doesn't have particularly good phase noise which means it will not be major improvement when used as master clock for a DCS system. In simple terms, rubidium will have better long term stability but that has no real value in this application. There are techniques to link the rubidium source with an OXCO to produce an external master clock which improves on the basic DCS clock. I've done this on both Scarlatti and Vivaldi clocks with good results.

However at this level, a BVA OCXO gives much better results.

One other option I've not looked at would be to replace the OCXO in the Vivaldi with a performance optimised version of the same component. That might be worth looking at.

In the external master clock, psu and cabling are all of key importance in tweaking performance. Commercial problem with BVA remains the high cost of the crystal which means market very limited. Currently only available audiophile clock is $35k. I'm sure it could be produced at maybe $20k but even then, sales volume very limited.
A friend of mine has a recoding studio and I will ask him if he would know other brand of potential solution like you describe. Your comment about the Antelope would explain why I had mixed result with it. I kept scratching my head because logically I was so convinced there is a way to make the clock stock dCS clock sound better with a reference clock.

Would you be able or mind to expand what techniques/toold you use the improve on your Scarlatti and Vivaldi clock "link the rubidium source with an OXCO to produce an external master clock which improves on the basic DCS clock"?

How could one do that?

Jacques