View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 12:52 AM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
I am actually sorry to read that Bose is closing stores.

As audiophiles, most of us have little use for Bose. But for many people, Bose represents quality audio. It cannot hurt - and can only help - for them to be exposed to audio systems, and the biggest issue with Bose is value, not quality. There are many audio products substantially worse than Bose, even though there are many that have much better quality and are more competitively priced.

Seeing a Bose store in a mall can only heighten awareness and prompt conversation about audio systems, and that's a good thing. I have a "big tent" approach to audio, and think there's room for Bose under the tent even if it has a low "desirabality index" for us.

I have a Bose system, btw. In my car. I'm not crazy about it.
+1. I had a pair of Bose Roommate speakers (one passive speaker while the other contained an amp and used a headphone jack as input) while a grad student, which were a cut above a boombox and worked with a Sony Discman CD player in a tiny apartment many years ago. It did the job well.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable