View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 07:27 PM

I've been using dCS pro DAC and upsampler (954 and 974) for more than ten years. Accuphase DC-901 was the first to come on eyelevel with the dCS gear with respect to transparency.
No chance for previous Accuphase generations like DP-800/DC-801 or DP-700. I tested with the DP-700.

With both brands upsampling to 176,4kHz (the Accuphase DC-901 upsamples to 176,4kHz automatically) and adjusted to exactly the same output level (20*log(dCS_output/Accuphase_output)) the Accuphase sounds slightly rounder than my ten years older dCS. The latter may have slightly higher noise and distortion.

The only way to find out, what suits you best, is to do a side by side listening test with both units upsampling to 176,4kHz and set at exactly the same output level.
Oh, and switch the Accuphase output to the same phase as the dCS: pin2 hot (+), pin3 cold (-).

If you compare a dCS without upsampling to an Accuphase, the latter will give you a broader image.
If you compare a dCS 2V output to an Accuphase (2.5V output), the louder will likely seem to sound better.

Enjoy your listening tests.

Martin

Last edited by meltemi; 03-02-2018 at 07:34 PM.