View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I'm sure a REL would be very satisfying. JLA includes a full suite of automatically calibrated filters for room tailoring, and a mic calibrated to your woofer's response to accomplish the mission. Even without a true crossover, I'm enjoying the alignment with my mains. The automatic filters of the JLA work as advertised, bass is tuneful, musical and deep. I'm satisfied.

Feature sets are quite different depending on which REL you compare to the JLAs. You can get a high pass output with certain series but no auto tune feature is available. I've no doubt I could be happy with a well chosen REL, and likely even your DB1, but as most have added, I'd be once bitten, twice shy about another or a repair at this cost after having the experience you described. The new REL's do look like a very good product to me.

Truly as you say, a first world problem with luck better held in reserve for a greater conundrum. But, good luck! I think you're sussing it out and will be interested in the solution you pick. Personally and seriously, my pick would be a fight with B&W's distributor first.

Thanks Pampero - my thinking is aligned to yours. I've been without a subwoofer for 4 months now and as much as it is disappointing, at least I have clear options.

A new brand is very likely so therein begins a new journey - now I just have to rustle up some unexpected $'s!