View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Yer Deity fer dis evenin'

Default Two coax runs needed??

Got a question about antennas:

I currently have a Magnum-Dynalab ST-2 antenna mounted in my attic with a single 35'-40’ piece of RG-6 Quad Shield coax being run to my Mac MR-85.

I also have the TV (Sony 40” XBR9) in the same set-up as the tuner and the rest of the stereo and being fed via Direct TV (SD w/DVR). As a temporary set-up I put an amplified (+12db – Terk TV5) HD antenna along with another TV-signal amp I had lying around for years that adds another +24db to the signal, on top of my turntable to get HD signals of my “local” stations.

Now if I decide to drop Direct TV, not order their HD package and go with local stations, can I just mount a non-amplified antenna in my attic too and use the same coax run with a splitter for both the TV AND the MR-85, or does it have to be two different runs? I would keep the +24db amp going to the TV. This all assuming I would have to insert two splitters (one in the attic an one at the system) for a total signal loss of 1.2db for 4 connections.

My attic does not have any electric running through it and I'm not having any put up there.

Last edited by Mighty Favog; 08-16-2009 at 04:59 PM.