View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 05:45 PM

I've had my Amati Futuras less than 4 months.

My path has been shaped by my music collection (for a given price point, what speakers make the greatest percentage of my cds sound enjoyable). Stellar sound for a few well recorded titles is not what I'm looking for. That said, my preference changes from time to time back-and-forth between rock, classic jazz, and classical music. Therefore, the speakers I've owned vary in their musical presentation.

First mostly pop/rock started me on horns (Cerwin Vegas turned into Klipsch). Then a lot of jazz and vocal lead to planar speakers (Apogee). Back to mostly rock, and not wanting to give up transparency or neutrality, ushered in the "jack of all trades" Infinity Prelude MTSs, GoldenEar Tritons, and JBLs. Long story shortened, somewhat... I wanted speakers that could do a lot of things right, make most of my music collection sound from good to awesome, and be aesthetically pleasing (WAF) in our great room. Enter the Sonus Faber AF.

Initially, I too found them a bit too polite for a number of cds (not helping matters, my Plinius power amp is sweet, and the room is on the dead side). So, I added a McIntosh C50 preamp to the mix and bumped the 2.5k and 10k knobs up 1-2 dB. Mission accomplished... after repositioning them 4,750 times. They sound so sweet, have the "bite" or "jump" restored , and make my toes tap and move about.

Kirk

Last edited by binaural; 02-24-2017 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Added power amp info.