View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo

My pre is relatively humble (by AA standards at least) Cary SLP 03 which I picked up ex dem (i actually used the E450 as a power amp for a while), but it works just fine ....although I would also love to pair them with something like a Masseto, they give their magic with a reasonably cheap pre too! It's my humble opinion that whilst Accuphase represent some of the finest SS amps on the current market, there's just something about a well done valve amp that wins out.......and Manley have that locked down

Tubes Rule as someone once said....
The Snappers play way above their price level.
They are awesome with the good tubes in.
They deliver power, drive, bloom, delicacy, tone....all in a perfect balanced way. They are highly musical ( it is really tough to find a record that sounds bad with them ) and at the same time they do not sound "colored".
They only miss a few degrees of resolution / definition to play at the same level of very high end, but honestly without comparing them in direct to very high end amps, you do not realize that. Even knowing that, when you listen to the Snappers, you do not miss these degrees of definition. You just get Pure Joy all the time.
I am missing them more than my 2301's.
My 2301's had almost everything one could ask for, including the high definition, but they were intolerant to average recordings and they were not as joyful as the Snappers.
And their bass was not "agile" and alive as the bass of the Snappers.
The price of a pair is very close to the price of a single 275. Especially on the used market. But for this price, you get to the level of the 2301's ! Not the 275.
Talk about a bargain in audio !

But I'm so glad they went to a "good home".

Georges, if one day you decide to sell them, CALL ME FIRST ! I think I will take them back.