View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 10:26 AM
Life is beautiful

My conclusion.

I may appear too severe.
Because I compared these speakers with my reference Vivid Audios that cost 38,000€ a pair, retail price.
But, if you claim to have the best driver in the world, and recommended retail price is 20,000€, you have to confront this kind of comparison.

It might in fact be true, that they have developped the best driver.
It seems that Marten is already interested in it.
Jacques and I both thought that an even better implementation of this driver would make it shine even more.
If you for example would cut it off at 50 or 60 Hz, so that it could focus on its strengths, upper bass, mids and highs, then it could surprise us even more.
Think a monitor, and then combine it with a very fast sub for the lowest octaves, and you really would have a world class speaker system.

Now, you have a true high end speaker that shines in all kinds of acoustic music, where it throws a very good image, and gives you good insight into the music.
But it falls a bit short when you for example like electronic music with lots of heavy beats.
With Ilumnia, you won't have the visceral impact of Drum-'n-bass or jungle tracks.

In the end we compared the Ilumnia with a 4500€ pair of EgglestonWorks on the other side of the room.
It was not a real fight.
The EgglestonWorks were outgunned in every aspect.
It was like a thick cloth was hung in front of us, and the soundstage collapsed entirely.

So yes, a big welcome to the world of high end speakers Ilumnia!!
A fantastic effort, with still room for improvement, but already quite an accomplishment.
A new paradigm in the world of transducers, it doesn't happen every year.
A couple of pairs have already found their way to listening rooms, and I'm sure lots more will follow.

I'll end with a couple of pics that show the finish is fine also:

Birch is the only version there is at the moment.

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables