View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Bluemcintosh, your system is beautiful. I noticed you have left Tannoy for Avantgarde. While I have had opportunity to hear and compare many acoustic suspension vs. ported systems, my experience with horns is almost zero. If I might ask, why do you prefer horns? Also, I think your choice of Accuphase with your horns a truly excellent choice. While I think Accupase has adequate power for inefficient speakers, it might not be my first choice. However, with horns it seems to me that Accuphase would be my absolute solid state amp of choice but what do I know? I have always felt that a solid state amp should not be pushed past about 10% of rated power for optimum performance. Anyway, what a beautiful well thought out system. If I were going to start over, I would seriously consider a system such as yours.

Thank you so much Charles. You have a wonderful system as well. [emoji1360]

I had my goal set about 7 years ago that my destination set up would be the horn + tube + analog. I had few guys who owns them they going around the audio show hear the systems and end of the day they chuckle and going back home enjoying their horn and tube set up always wondering what’s going on . One day I checked older Avantgarde Uno with Coincident 300b amps and makes me wowza. It was just stunning sound with makes my toe tapping with whole session. However I was still worried about the bass integrate issue with older generation as soon as they come up with XD. ( which upgrade the DSP setting and Class D instead of Class AB amp they used on bass module ) I said that’s it.

With Avantgarde Mezzo XD I feel so connected to the music, it’s absolutely stunning. The music is freed from the box and just appears in my room. Vocals are wonderfully natural. They have tremendous 3D, depth and width. The music is so dynamic, clear and open. Simply totally disappears. People used to call me a speaker whore [emoji38] well after living with them I sold off all my others coz I do not need them anymore. This Mezzo is all I need.

In terms of Accuphase E650. They are excellent but I still preferred the tube sound as mains source and the E650 doing a great job as second amp. Love both.

Thanks again Charles.