View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1120s View Post
Curious if anyone has a pair of the Palladium with Marantz gear. I am thinking of trying another horn loaded speaker. Currently have the JBL 1400 Arrays with Marantz reference which I love but am looking forward to a tryout with Klipsch Palladium P-38 or 39.

Anyone have any advice?
tom1120s: I just noticed that you started this thread almost 2 years ago. Did you make a change? What improvement were (or are) you seeking in sound quality?

Your JBL Project Array 1400 speakers look very interesting– though I’m surprised their sensitivity rating isn’t higher. Have you tried a tube amp with these speakers?

I have a stereo pair of Klipsch Palladium P-37F in a small room. IME, Klipsch speakers sound best with tube amps when playing classical music and opera. (For movies I use an NAD C375BEE solid-state integrated amp.) The P-37F excel at opera, because of their high frequency dynamics - there is no sense of strain when a soprano signs at full volume. The P-37F has slightly weak bass on some recordings, which can be compensated for via the amp’s tone controls. I’ve never heard the P38-F or P-39F, which have larger enclosures and larger woofers – presumably they’re capable of deeper and more powerful bass.

Here’s my system with the Palladium:

Have you considered the Klipsch RF-7 II?

The aesthetics of the RF-7 II are a definite step below the Palladium. However the RF-7 II is capable of more dynamic sound, and deeper bass. IME the RF-7 generally needs a tube amp with tone controls in order to tame the high frequency. (However, I’m currently experimenting with the RF-7s driven by a Dennis Had Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO (8wpc from KT88 wired as single-ended Class A triodes), directly fed by the variable output of my Oppo BDP-105 (i.e., no tone controls). This arrangement sounds excellent.

I’ve never heard the Klipschorn or La Scala. I can’t accommodate speakers that wide in any of my listening rooms. FYI, I’ve read about guys who skip the Klipsch consumer product line, and install the Jubilee. I haven’t heard the Jubilee – but again it’s impracticable for me due to size. (I suspect its forte is playing loud.)

Please post an update.