View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 07:50 PM

Continuing to test many different tube configurations in my Inspire PSE.

A couple of days ago I decide to try a KT120/KT150 combo. I own only two of each, purchased for my Inspire HO. I liked both tubes in the HO.

So I install them with one KT120 and one KT150 per channel. Let it warm up for a bit and then play some background music for over an hour before hitting it with some of my familiar demo tracks.

Wow! It sounds great! So smooth with great vocals. Good detail with no edginess and powerful bass. A bit less forward than with the KT66s I liked so much. I've had KT77s in it for the past couple of weeks and liked them a lot. Popping in the KT120/KT150 combo, the sound became a bit warmer with a bit less high frequency energy. Played Mark Knopfler's "The Ragpicker's Dream" and the vocals were stunning, within a big wide soundstage coming out of what they call a "black" background.

Who knows if I will ever decide which tubes / tube combo I like best? I'm just slowly rotating through my tubes, noting what I like best about each.

Tempts me to pick up another pair of each, so I can run a quad of like tubes, but I have so many tubes now and those KT150s are pricey.