View Single Post
Old 11-05-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardave View Post
I saw an ad looking for an arc ref2 mk2 (nothing else) which got me thinking... as a guy who chases the latest new arc preamp release I so appreciate a wanted ad like this. I owned one of these many years ago, and that was the preamp that started my arc continual chase, with the subsequent ref3, ,5, 5se, and now 6. And I have appreciated each upgrade. But I have had the experience more than once of listening to a component that I “upgraded “ from and been stunned that it still sounded simply excellent, and wondering if the multiple upgrades and many thousands of dollars had got me any more satisfaction or pleasure. More detail, yes, but more pleasure or satisfaction? Hmmm
So this has me wondering, anyone who just loves their sp10 or whatever and has not been tempted to change it?
I am reminded of that fact each and every time I visit my friend who has not changed a thing for over 20 years now. He built a magnificent system then, it is still as impressive as it was all those years ago. There were many generations of each component since, he doesn't care. I agree. Great gear is timeless. Unless there is a revolution in technology, (hasn't been for analog devices) a great speaker, amp and preamp will always be great.