View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 09:49 AM

Default Netflix on 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
Does anyone else have this problem with their HT system? When I stream Netflix or any other streaming service through my Roku (their best model) it looks and sounds terrible. I have it wired directly into the internet and into the input of the Oppo 105D. I am very satisfied with my Oppo 105d when playing Netflix and streaming Netflix. I didn't order a 205 since it couldn't stream.
I am on the list of getting a 205 and am now considering having my 105D connecting via HDMI to the only input on the 205 so I can get the streaming services. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Since my projector has 2 HDMI inputs for picture I can have the 105D and 205 send a direct signal. I am only concerned with the sound quality. Presently I have the Oppo 105D send sound out through the analog connections directly into my McIntosh MX136 and am very happy with the sound quality. Since the 105D doesn't do 4K I was planning on using the 205 for that. My projector does 4K.
Any ideas. It is ok to tell me that I am going about this entirely the wrong way. Thanks.
It is a shame that OPPO 205 does not support streaming - however considering what you can get for little additional money (i.e. Roku stick) - not that big a deal. My biggest complaint the the 205 (which we have) has only one HDMI input.
Here is our solution:
1) I wanted all video to thru the OPPO to take advantage of the superior processing. We have only three inputs:
a) OPPO blu-ray player itself
b) Roku Ultra streamer
c) Comcast xfinity box

2) I use an inexpensive HDMI switch in front the OPPO (Kinivo - available from Amazon and others). The Roku and xfinity go into this.

3) Output from the OPPO 205 into Samsung.

I did try the Roku as a direct input in to the Samsung but ran into the following audio issues:
1. Digital optical out from the Samsung (2015 model year) only supports 2 channel LPCM output. If you are running two channels however, this is the simplest and most stable way to go.
2. While the HDMI/ARC channel on the Samsung supports Dolby etc. it is a flaky interface - many people have issues with this. You can run the ARC output into HDMI input on the OPPO however.

So, the HDMI switch works well. I do have occasional HDMI handshake problems, but this seems to be an issue everywhere these days.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.