View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugal View Post
enatai252,

I understand that you use the Ayre DX5, the ARC Ref DAC and now the Vivaldi.

Three DACs. Have you compared these devices regarding USB input to DAC?
Portugal

Not sure I can be much help on USB. While I have moved more of my listening to audio files...I use the Naim HDX to rip to a NAS or to access downloaded hi Rez files. I don't use a computer/USB. The DX5 is used for blu ray HT, SACD discs and as a transport through the AES/EBU connection for CD playback. My DAC was the ARC DAC8 which was connected to the DX5 through AES and Naim HDX with BNC connection. I upgraded the DAC8 with the ref DAC which was an improvement. With the Ref DAC...i used the same AES and BNC connections and also used its built in streaming capability. There is a review AA of the Ref DAC and I have to say I disagree with its findings on the streamer capability. I have found it to be very good although I do think the Naim streamer through BNC sounds slightly better. The Ref DAC takes the benefits of the DAC8 and adds depth and air that is downright unbelievable.

Having said that...the Ref DAC seems best suited for a system that is digital only. In my cabin...I use the same Naim server system so I am moving it up there to replace the Naim DAC. I researched a lot of DACs out there and have decided that the Ring DAC/Upsampler would work nicely in my system. My ideal would be Vivaldi Upsampler serving as media hub and streamer...then using 2 AES connections and clock between Upsampler and Vivaldi DAC providing numerous options with respect to sampling rates and filters. i also want to see how the Vivaldi controller app turns out. (Naim system works so well) Still have some more questions...but John from dCS has been very helpful. Will update this thread if I decide to move forward