View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
I would hate to live in that future

It's 1984 scary.
Many cities have implements “smart traffic light control” which adjusts in real-time depending on traffic flow, even in very complex grids. So in essence it is controlling us, except we are pushing the pedals to stop and go manually. I see a centralized/autonomous control as a possible extension of that concept. I doubt we will see technology like that in our lifetimes though.

What makes me uncomfortable is not the autonomous future but what’s already here and how the tech giants and government agencies are spying, tracking our every move, reading every word within our emails and eavesdropping through the smart devices that we willingly bring into our homes to entertain ourselves.

Step outside and the cameras outside are now used by FBI and ICE for facial recognition from state driver’s license database without anyone's knowledge or consent as it turns out. It was in the news the other day. This is after the recent scandal involving Snowden and NSA. Pretty obvious they will keep pushing the boundaries of technological citizen control without getting approval first. Seems the motto is “we will resort to anything and do what we have to until told otherwise by congress?”

How’s that for an Orwellian society?

Last edited by PHC1; 07-09-2019 at 10:53 AM.