View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdimler View Post
No doubt an improvement on the Salon 2's is somewhere in the pipeline, though I would expect for them to get through the new BE speakers in the Performa3 line first.

A couple interesting points you made, one regarding some type of integrated room correction. When I talked to Kevin Voecks at RMAF this year I asked him what he was working on and it was exactly this....some kind of room correction/equalization. He said he personally thinks it is very important but I was under the impression that he hasn't been able to convince Revel to make it a commercial reality. I tried to get an idea of what it might look like....a piece of hardware? Integrated into a speaker? Not sure what the answer is but he has it on his radar at least.

And yes.....some form of more stable and adjustable base would be a huge improvement. I lived with F208's for over two years and had them spiked on a laminate wood floor but they weren't even close to being stable. I recently swapped them for Salon2s which compounded the problem. I looked for a good aftermarket solution for my 208s but never came up with anything aside from the very good and VERY expensive Townshend Seismic Podiums. I took up the search again after getting the Salons with the same thing in mind and ended up with these very simple steel outriggers from a company up in the pacific northwest. They are affordable, sturdy, adjustable, and decent looking...something to consider if you are not happy with the stability of your Salons.
I'm pretty familiar with (at least what used to be) Harman's product evolutions, timetables and procedures. Room correction started figuring prominently about 15 years ago when the first series of LSRs were introduced. At that time the procedure to accomplish the task was not really automated. In the pro world the first auto tune system was introduced in the EVO line. That product was buggy but they stuck with the concept, especially in later generations in the LSR theme.

Continued evolution of the idea was championed by Floyd Toole who also had a hand in the Ultima 2 projects if I recall. It doesn't take too much math to reckon any new speakers might have some combination of auto eq correction and (or) active multi way amplification. Given the complexities of Revel's four way designs and crossovers, it's hard to guess where else they'd turn to achieve more than incremental gains with the current product.

By the way, my problem isn't stability per se, although my thickly padded flooring presents some challenges (that I've come to ignore). My thought is that a base such as you described would be the ready solution and that would be easy enough to design in from the start. I'm not a fan of spending money on isolation feet or anchors or bases at this price point as it enters my personal "chasing the dragon" zone. Hi end equipment at this level should come complete as a full function product without requiring heroic measures (expense). That said, do you recall the name of the company that you got the bases from?

I know not everyone on this board agrees with me in this and gets great pleasure from investing many thousands in such things but I'm not of that mind as a rule.

Room treatment, well that's another story! Some things are verifiable. After all, I think that's a big reason why many of us bought Revels.

Last edited by Pampero; 03-12-2017 at 07:05 PM.