View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 09:43 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGale View Post
I was shocked to see incorrect description of the driver construction described by Alan Taffel on the 800D3.

He stated, "As with all D3 series speakers, the 800's 1" tweeter boasts a diamond-coated cone"? Of course this is not true, as the dome is pure synthetic diamond with a platinum coating. Magico for example does use a diamond coated Beryllium tweeter in their latest design but no diamond coating here.

The other incorrect information published is that if you compare the 802D3 with the 800D3, the most notable change is in the cone construction. He states, "While still comprising of carbon-fiber skins sandwiching a foam core, the cones thickness is variable rather than constant". This is true of all the 800 series woofers with Aerofoil construction that is variable thickness of the cone, thinner at the edges and thicker in the middle. There is a difference between the 800D3 and 802D3 in the motor, basket and dust cap that also uses the Aerofoil design to further reduce distortion which is not explained.

So on two key points on driver construction for the tweeter and bass drivers is not correct.

He did highlight as some others on this forum has personally experienced that a few bass notes where a bit "more plummy than the rest". I believe as others due that the 800D3 is more room sensitive than the 802D3 but in the right room there is no doubt in my mind would be the superior speaker.

You would think reviewers would get their facts straight before allowing this to be published or allow B&W to review to make sure at least the technical description is correct before releasing to the public.

Maybe I am expecting too much or being picky but don't think so.
TAS, like most publications, typically provide the manufacturer a pre-publication copy of the review for the express purpose of correcting factual inaccuracies. The goal is to insure that factual errors (as opposed to subjective observations) don't make it into print.