View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 09:48 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Craig.......I own a pair of MC301 amplifiers. They are in the studio system driving a pair of Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers. Pure joy.

I have driven the PMC EB1i speakers in the past with a MC275 Mk V and was quite surprised at how dynamic it was, and it certainly had enough power to reach the volume levels I typically enjoy, usually less than 90 dB. That equates to less than 2 watts output power from the amplifier. I could also crank the system to substantial volume levels that exceed what I normally find comfortable, so I have little doubt a pair of the latest MC75's will not drive the PMC's just fine. As I understand it, the latest MC75 mono tube amps use the same power supply as the MC275. That makes each channel considerably more robust that a MC275 can muster. I'm still just kicking around the idea of replacing the MC452 in the living room system. It certainly isn't because I am unhappy with the 452's performance. No way!

I know you have MC2301s in your other system. I was thinking but partially kidding. You know what they are capable of and if you want the sweet / romantic midrange of a McTube amplifier, why settle for anything other than the MC2301s.

I compared twin MC275s and an MC452 on my Strads and loved the midrange of the MC275s and the control and speed of the MC452. The MC2301s will give you both.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack