Thread: HDTV Shoot-Out
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Semi-audiophile

Just got back from the 2017 shootout and LG's latest, the E7, swept the three categories, besting a Sony AIE (OLED) and X9D (LED LCD), Samsung Q9F, Vizio P and a Westinghouse TV (don't remember the model). There was a $30K Sony OLED (BVX-300) mastering display so there was a true reference. And the judging this time was done by industry pros, not a general audience. The event was part of CE Week in Manhattan.

As a consumer and potential buyer, I thought the LG had better color, but the Sonys had better video processing. Those three were the best TVs and any one would be good. The highest contrast ratio belonged to the LG (70,944:1!); the Sony OLED was a "mere" 44,926:1 and its LCD was 13,181:1. Those numbers would be unheard of not all that long ago.

So if my Pioneer Elite Kuro falls off the equipment rack I'd say I have good choices for its replacement.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 07-17-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typo