View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Hi Charlie, the 725/Corus combo certainly sounded very transparent & has some tube-like warmth. Power and build quality are both excellent. There is just something about those Rowland amps which I find fatiguing. I can't put a finger on why. I'm not sure if it's their use of switch mode power supplies or liberal use of op amps, but anyway that was just my experience. For similar money, I would personally prefer a pair of Vitus SM-010 mono blocks which to me sound more analogue and musical.

Don't get me wrong, I can see how many people would like the sound of the the Rowlands however. I should note I haven't heard the D'Agostino amps, though their design and overwhelmingly positive writes up suggest they are special. It's possible if I heard the Momentum S or mono's I wouldn't like them. As always, it comes down to personal preference. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Thanks, David, for the feedback.

I think it must be the first time I've heard someone describe an amp as having tube like warmth and then go on to say they found the amps 'fatiguing'.

An interesting and intriguing comment