View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisChas View Post
David

It would be really helpful if you could give us a bit of detail concerning your impression re Corus + 725 combo?

The combo very well reviewed in Absolute Sounds magazine recently, did you see the review?

Charlie
Hi Charlie, the 725/Corus combo certainly sounded very transparent & has some tube-like warmth. Power and build quality are both excellent. There is just something about those Rowland amps which I find fatiguing. I can't put a finger on why. I'm not sure if it's their use of switch mode power supplies or liberal use of op amps, but anyway that was just my experience. For similar money, I would personally prefer a pair of Vitus SM-010 mono blocks which to me sound more analogue and musical.

Don't get me wrong, I can see how many people would like the sound of the the Rowlands however. I should note I haven't heard the D'Agostino amps, though their design and overwhelmingly positive writes up suggest they are special. It's possible if I heard the Momentum S or mono's I wouldn't like them. As always, it comes down to personal preference. Hope that helps.

Cheers,