View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
You’re not accelerating the mass of the tonearm in relation to skating forces, so that’s why it doesn’t factor in here. The VTF increases the frictional drag force (proportionally) so it does factor in. Imagine a vertor pointing straight forward from the center front edge of headshell. Then another from the stylus back to the pivot point. The vector difference of these 2 is a vector that points roughly towards spindle and represents the skating force. As tonearm length increases so does the offset angle decrease, and thus the difference vector becomes 0.
Thanks again for still humouring me on this.

I get the skating force happening at the stylus and the interaction between friction and VTF: 100%. This describes the skating force.

But, as noted "Skating force compensation is provided at the arm pivot. This means that a torque is applied at the pivot..." So, the Anti-Skating Force is applied at the pivot: the pivot supports the mass of the tonearm and counterweight. Even thought the Anti-Skating Force is in theory a purely horizontal vector, does the mass of the system not even play into it?

I keep thinking that a pushing a perfectly balanced chopstick takes less effort than pushing a perfectly balanced tree trunk...?! What part am I missing?