View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 10:18 AM

A.Wayne, This is a fascinating thread and no one has posted on it for awhile. I have not heard from any Magico folks regarding the ability of the Q7 to manage a crushing bass transient such as exists on cut 10 "Festive Psalm" of Reference Recordings "Psalms" so I must assume the Q7 may not handle it well?? Or that no one cares. This is no knock at all against the O7. It would just be interesting to know if Magico has solved this age old issue with sealed boxes and 20 Hz bass. Also, now Magico is releasing the Qsub 18 subwoofer so for folks that can afford it, the problem is solved anyway.

I wonder what your opinion is of the Qsub18 from a theoretical design standpoint? BTW, I am going with an XLF. I have made the measurements and the XLF will fit in my room. I do want to say to you that I have heard a lot of bass in my time. Although I believe the sealed box design may be theoritically better, I love Wilson bass. I can't imagine better bass and the ruggedness of the Wilson bass systems are undeniable. So it's the XLF for me not the Q7. Also there's the incompatibility of Magico and McIntosh. There's also the knowledge of what my Maxx3's sound like in my room. The "Wilson" sound signature is good in my room.

When one is considering purchasing a statement system many factors go into the ultimate choice. If I were a Magico afficionado I would be very excited about the Qsubs. I am sure the electronics and drivers will be commensurate to the Q7. It is an extremely exciting development IMO.

Last edited by Charles; 09-09-2013 at 10:20 AM.