View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Mouse

Are you just running the A5's straight from you computers sound card? If so there are a multitude of inexpensive USB DAC's you can put in the middle. A popular one on the Head-Fi site is the SMSL M-8A. I'm sure there are plenty of others from Schitt and others that would be desktop appropriate.
Yes, straight from my PC's sound card right now.
I know that an external DAC could upgrade the sound, I just thought the main limitation in sound is the speakers and the free cables that came with them.
Has anyone with the same A5+ speakers compared external DAC vs PC soundcard and found difference enough to clutter a desktop?
If the difference is significant and the A5+ is good enough to hear the difference I'm buying one.

While the A5+ is the best I've tried (and I've tried quite a few), I felt like it's a perfect temporary option until I pull the trigger on an Audio Research system.

I must say that they are great as a nearfield speaker while I'm working under low to medium volumes. However they don't sound great in the room, but from my office chair they are more than adequate, and considering the limitations I'd say it's nearly a perfect fit. Sounds clear enough but leaves me wanting more (I'm hoping cables and/or external DAC will squeeze much more), almost too big for a desktop system but I managed to squeeze it in perfectly, the subwoofer fits exactly where I need it to go and sound great considering the price, the system is non-fatiguing and I can listen to music in my office all day again. There is a lot less noise compared to the Paradigm CT2 system it replaced. Thanks for the recommendations!