Thread: Analog Domain
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Sound Engineering

You're asking as if it should be a big secret.

I am now using (and would not part with) a pair of my pre-Analog Domain near-field studio monitors. It's a 2-way system with one 8" LF driver and a soft dome tweeter. I've been using them for over 8 years and know their sound quite well. They do pack a punch, but truthfulness is their edge - probably one of the 'bluntest' speakers ever! For me they are invaluable for assessing performance at low to medium playback levels, especially at close listening distance.

Let me tell you what really got me hooked on high-power setups.

Last year I did a custom installation that featured dedicated amplification in each frequency band, using active 3-way crossovers with DSP. Room size was about 150 sq.m. by 4.5m high. The LF band comprised of eight 18" drivers, paired in 4 enclosures and driven by two of my pre-Analog Domain creations with a total power of 8kW. The remaining two bands, up from 120Hz were also split actively and driven by dedicated amps, respectively 2x1.2kW for the midrange and 2x500W for HF. Everything except the DSP was custom designed and built by yours truly.

That installation sounded just right, at any level, compression-free, effortlessly reproducing even the loudest thumps, bangs, drums, whatever you hit it with. At the same time, it gently brought out the fine details in the recording. It's a little frightening to watch eight 18" cones doing an inch or so of displacement, but when the distortion is low, it's actually quite enjoyable.

I'm sure you are aware that it takes a bit more than just piling up the gear in a room to get good results. Room acoustics account for at least 50% of the sound, and in that case I had the opportunity to 'do things right' all the way. One of the big challenges was to conceal most of it from sight.

I am looking forward to setting up a really good listening room for demonstration and personal enjoyment, hopefully soon.