View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comzee View Post
Thanks for the input guys.

@bombadil that is a good solution, generally tower speakers have those extra drivers for bass frequencies which really helps. I could trade up my full range Omega pair for towers, but I think it would be easier to get a subwoofer, at least cheaper.

@x3workshop @Musica Amantem
Ya I'm probably just going to get the deepOMEGA 8, sounds like that's what people do, just augment with active subwoofer.
I have a couple pair of Omega speakers and have just added a pair of active subwoofers. I lucked into a pair of Rhythmik F8 low inertia subs that can be crossed over as high as 200hz. They are very heavy and high quality but must be connected at line level unless you use an adapter. They are famously fast server subs. Peter uses a similar arrangement for his midbass modules (his use a single driver per side while mine use two). Another option is the Rhythmik F12G 12" subwoofer that uses the lightweight GR Research driver. Either of these will run $900-1,000.

From what I can tell the Omega sub uses an OEM labeled version of the Dayton SPA250 amplifier. It is a respected amp, though it does have a history of failure from time to time. I own a couple of them that I was going to use for a project but never got around to it. Omega's cabinets are certainly prettier though. That can be addressed in the same manner Peter did: he bought the custom install version of the subs and had Louis make the cabinets for them.

If I were choosing a single subwoofer and my speakers had good mid to upper bass I would probably go with the Rhythmik F12G.