Thread: MCD350 msrp?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 10:24 PM

I need some advice from the experts! I have two Mac based systems in my home, on the main system I have an MCD201 SACD player along with an MCD205 changer. In my study I have a Marantz SA-8003 bought in 2009 (predecessor to the SA-8005). The Marantz has been excellent, quiet and very good sound using an MA6500 integrated amp driving XR50 bookshelfs. Very nice sound. But the MCD201 in my main system has become less and less reliable, often failing to read a disc and then often skipping on some discs. I bought this unit second hand in 2008 for $1,800 and I know this unit has always been an iffy performer, but it has served me well for the time I’ve owned it. Two weeks ago I took it in to an authorized McIntosh repair facility which I’ve used in the past with excellent results and the diagnosis today was the CD drive mechanism is kaput and the mother ship no longer has replacements for it. I ran into a similar problem a few years ago with a B&O system, mechanical parts were no longer available. I guess you can always repair electronic systems with new transistors, capacitors, filters, power supplies and the like, but the whirling mechanisms are bought in by a manufacturer and once these replacements are gone they are gone.

So I need a new spinner, what do I get? I will move the SA-8003 to the main system since I now do most of my listening in my study late at night. I see a few choices in my price range:

1. McIntosh MCD350 - $4,500
Pricey but there is something cool about sitting in the dark with the blue eyes on and the little logos on the XR50s illuminated, and sipping a cognac. The lack of flexibility isn’t a concern as I either listen to CD/SACD’s or vinyl on a Clearaudio turntable. The flimsy plastic tray on the MCD201 always bothered me but I don’t know if the new unit has a metal tray or not.

2. Marantz SA-14S1 - $2,500
This is an upgrade on the SA-8005, better electronics, better power supply, etc. This is in their top ‘Reference’ category. This would probably fit in well since I already like the performance of the much less expensive SA-800x series.

3. Yamaha CD-S2100 - $3,000
I don’t know much about this unit but the specs are great and Yamaha always built great high end products. Build quality looks fantastic.

-----------------

$4,500 is really the most I want to spend and I can probably get some salvage value out of the MCD201. Money isn’t the biggest factor but I figure this will be my last CD/SACD player. Any ideas, comments or suggestions? Do I just bite the bullet and get the MCD350 and be done with it, or save $2,000 and get the high grade Marantz? Or something else. I suspect sound quality will be comparable among these units. Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to audition any of these units, where I live high end audio really doesn't exist.

Opinions appreciated and welcome.

Last edited by Evitzee; 04-16-2018 at 10:26 PM.