View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 09:31 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Default Magnepan MG 1.7i - In the (mountain) House

I was a long time Magneplanar user/listener - having started with Tympani's (3 panel) and progressing through various single panel Maggies as room sizes and needs changed.

My last pair were 20.1's - which I sold (for whatever ill-advised reason) about 10 years ago.

Well, as most of you might well understand, I got the itch to try Maggies again - and decided to try one of the less sizable (and less costly) of their speakers.

I was using a pair of Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos at my cottage in the Tennessee mountains - and last week, I moved them aside and purchased a pair of the highly touted MG 1.7i's and put them in the SF's place (for a while, I thought!)

WOW - am I impressed.

Listening now, as I write this, I am amazed at just how good these little Maggies really are.

My wife is still asleep and I'm listening at low volume - and still the speakers sound amazingly good. Huge soundstage, spreading all across the front of the room. Pure, beautiful sound - instruments perfectly placed and standing there in mid-air. Some guy seems to be right there in my room singing to me.

I do remember my Tympani's and larger Magnepan speakers sounding "fuller" at higher volume levels, but I don't remember them sounding as "correct" and pure as these little fellows do - especially at low volume.

These 1.7i's are wonderful.

And I do wonder if I don't have somewhere else to use my Sonus Faber's.

I think I'm gonna love these Maggies.

I do stil have my JL Audio F112 subwoofer here, which i anticipate will make the Magenpan sound even "better" and may well make them rival (equal?) the larger Maggie's of my now distant memory - and, I will hook-up that beast up later today.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .