View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Brusilovsky View Post
I am looking for some amp recommendations for B&W 804d3.

My top choice is currently is the Rotel rb1590. Given that B&W are matched with Rotel by B&W I would assume that this would be one of the best or most efficient combinations. I have listened to the smaller Rotel amps with these speakers and have really enjoyed the sound but have never tried the rb1590. I did prefer the Rotels to Mcintosh and Arcam when auditioning.

I am also considering a Bryston 4b3 but am not sure if it would pair as well as the rb1590. For me, given a larger price tag performance different would have to be substantial to justify a 2x cost. By substantial I mean any normal person should be able to point out the difference easily.

Given that I do enjoy the sound of the Rotel, but may appreciate something more analytical and accurate (not sure if it exists at a comparable pricepoint), is the Rotel Rb1590 a good choice or would you recommend I look into others to compare to?
Welcome to AA Eugene!

The word "normal" is a very abstract term in audio.

Seeking a linear relationship of dollar input vs performance output is also futile.

While I have not personally heard the RB1590, it seems like a very well designed, brute of an amp under the same parent company as B&W. If you preferred the Rotel sound with B&W over other amps, why try spending 2x as much?

The Bryston amps are fantastic, neutral, powerful and fast sounding as they take full control over speakers. The 350W Rotel RB1590 is no slouch either, I am sure. Following what your own ears and intuition tells you upon an audition is a much better bet than advice and opinions of others, of which there is no short supply.

The RB1590 should be a great match.

Good luck in your quest.