View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
Going from AV power to the MC601 definitely made a difference. With the Denon and Marantz AV there was always ear fatigue when played at higher volume. Which was my major concern with the 803D3. With the mc601 that’s not an issue any longer. The music is much smoother and relaxed. They effortlessly drive the speakers. The bass got a little tighter and clarity got better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Exactly. Setting aside the specifics, this is a great illustration of why it's critical to invest in amps--speakers are only half the equation. (Ok, maybe 60%, haha)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
Yes they are mono blocks but try looking on the used market. Amps tend to hold up over time especially McIntosh. There is always 601’s for sale especially with the newer model 611’s coming out recently. You should be able to find them in the $9k range. At least in the US.

Before I bought the 803d3 I demo them with a few different amps. Mark Levinson, Rotel, Parasound, Audio Research and a mc452. Of all of them my wife and I preferred the 452 driving them. In the end I decided to “go big or go home” so I purchased the mc601 and I was not disappointed. I believe you would be happy with a used Mc 452 driving the 803d3 but only you can decide that.
Yes MC452 seems more affordable for me as I only need to get 1 to drive both speakers. I have heard 803D3 with Rotel and they sounded amazing. How do you find MC452 compared to this?