View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimesis View Post
Hi psjl,

The answer sounds like a classic Ayre answer. One, it's hostile and two, they're right.

Here is the info from the Japanese distributor of Ayre's products. You'll see the spec sheet and 750W (the max power draw rating). The unit uses two transformers per chassis.

I am not an electrical engineer nor a designer and Charles knows what he is doing. That being said, the transformer capacity is rated at 25% above his max RMS load (600W vs 750VA). Don't know how many joules his capacitors store. Some supplies are crazy overkill but from my survey, most high end units strive for 33% or 50% larger than the max work load.
Also if you click on the pdf link on the following page for the MX-R, a brochure pops up, still in Japanese, with the specs and "750W(MAX)".

Ayre Lineup
mimesis....Thanks for the info.....funny that the Japanese spec. sheet mentions the max. power consumption but the specs. listed on Ayre's website as well as the Owner's Manual make no mention of this....as far as being hostile, well, I wouldn't go so far in saying that, but I guess that end of the day, they do have their own particular philosophy/approach in amp development....that being said, and regardless of their stance on specs. such as these, they do make great sounding and very affordable (relatively speaking) gear!....BTW, I hear that they have been working on a R-series DAC and Phono Stage for sometime now, so we should see something hopefully appear sometime during the coming few months!.....Can't wait, especially for the R-series DAC which I'll match w/my KX-R preamp!......Philip

Last edited by psjl; 07-05-2011 at 11:10 PM.