View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 03:41 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
I don't have a Ref 3 phono but have the Ref 6 preamp - great unit. I bought the Granite Audio CD and lost it before I could even use the damn thing! I bought a Frybaby 2 last month, and it's been great. Very versatile and convenient; I just plug it in where needed without hauling around a CD or digital player hookup (digital payback is VERY de-emphasized here). The FryBaby has a very easy control to switch between MC, MM, and full line levels. Really just set it and forget it. Made a nice improvement on the Lundahl LL 1931 SUT in my VAC phono stage, after an easy 100 hours. Also note that the Granite CD only has MC burn-in on the last track; the others are MM. You'll want to burn in your Phono 3 in MC mode.

The FryBaby is a more complete solution, imo. You can burn in cables, preamps, phonos, etc. Next I might get that Origin Live adapter cable, so that combined with the FryBaby, it can burn in tonearm wiring and phono cables all the way from the headshell leads.

Buying the FryBaby also made me remember how much I enjoyed the old Hagerman Trumpet phono stage. I'd like to give the newer one a spin! That said, I don't think it's touching a Ref 3.
Yes, the Frybaby 2 is a fine way to burn in cables and components.

And yes, you can combine burn-in of tonearm wiring and a phono stage. It is very easy and inexpensive to make an adapter cable for the tonearm - even I could do it. You need 4 short lengths of wire, RCA plugs, shrink wrap, with the key being a male DIN plug. Also the tools to solder. I used the Cardas M DIN from Parts Connexion. The connection goes:

FryBaby2-->Tonearm Adapter Cable--> Tonearm cartridge clips -- Tonearm RCAs into phono stage.

Here is a mediocre picture of the FryBaby2 used to burn-in silver Kondo tonearm wire on a Kuzma 4Point. The red wired thing is the homemade adapter cable.

A nice walk-through on making an adapter cable is here.

PS - do *not* burn-in any Shunyata cable featuring their KPIP process.

Last edited by tima; 03-30-2019 at 03:46 AM. Reason: add PS