View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
... If you are going to be a 'serious' listener you will want a yagi mounted as high as you can get it. My antenna consists of a pair of 6-element yagi in parallel mounted in the crawl-space above the garage ...
I am going to quibble with this. Nearly every reception condition is different, so it's difficult to make sweeping statements about what will work best in any one of them. I agree about height being beneficial and of course it's gain that's important, but you can't consider those factors in isolation. Minimizing multipath and not delivering too much gain are also factors.

While a yagi antenna will yield the best gain for its size, there's more to an antenna than gain, and there are definite advantages to using a good log periodic antenna. That's what radio stations that need directional FM RX antennas (such as for use with translator stations) tend to use.

This is all mostly moot, because there are only a few dedicated FM antennas currently available, as far as I can tell. It seems like many of the major antenna manufacturers - such as Channel Master and Wineguard - no longer offer dedicated directional FM antennas, and some of the specialty manufacturers (such as Antennacraft) have also disappeared.