View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
Hey troops:

Going to have Sean of the Skiing Ninja co. stop by next month and install his new crossover kit in my 1.6's... If it's anything like his other crossover upgrades, it should be a big jump in fidelity.

Much as I love my Maggies, they use notoriously low grade parts in their crossovers and I have heard a few of the other modded Magnepans over the years and have always come away impressed with just how good the actual "panel" is.

We'll be using em in a great system for eval too, so I'll keep you all posted. If this is successful, he'll be doing it for the other models as well!
Should be a big improvement, but not as big as active bi-amping. I would spend the extra $; take the next step and go active. Not so say there wouldn't be a market for that though. There are just as huge differences reported in the replacement of the frame of the speakers from MDF to solid hardwood; so much can be done to improve these speakers. As you say, the drivers themselves are much better than what is had in the stock speaker.

Review of my experience with active biamplification still to come; been about 3 weeks and I am still in awe of the differences.

Last edited by magnmac; 09-25-2009 at 06:00 PM.