View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
OG,

PS - I also use 300B amps, so that may also contribute to the sense of looseness. A critical point to keep in mind is system synergy. John Devore voiced his speakers using several of the Shindo amps. So they are designed for a synergy with tubes. That's not to say that they don't do well with SS, but all of the attributes of tubes were material to the design.
Hmm, how interesting! I too use my O/96s with 300B amps. The O/96s sounded killer at Matt's place with the Cortese, the Lafon 300B Ltd and the GM70s. At his place I preferred them with the GM70s. At my place I preferred them with the Lafon 300Bs over the GM70s. Different room, different acoustics. My room is much smaller than Matt's.

I have had them since I believe August of last year. I also heard the Nine's at Matt's and they sound wonderful as well (never heard the Silverbacks).

I am very pleased with mine, I play more vinyl than digital but do play both. Bela Fleck and his Flecktones (CD) sound great on the system, deep, rich bass. Jim Hall's Concierto on vinyl has nice, woody bass. Other examples sadly escape my mind at the moment.

I have mine in a room about 13.5' by 23' with 9' ceilings. They are on the short wall and about 3-3.5 feet out from the back wall and about 6 ft apart from each other (inside edge to inside edge).

Also Sade, Diamond Life, Smooth Operator sounds great on the system (vinyl) with nice slinky bass, and a nice percussive attack.

Barr