View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Semi-audiophile

Decision made, after a bit of angst. I've ordered another Duo VP.

I'd considered the Lumagen Radiance 2144 because of the 4K upscaling, which would future-proof me if my Kuro went down and I bought a 4K TV (a 55" flat OLED would be the ideal, and they're on the way from LG), plus it has more options for tweaking a TV's picture; it is better than the Duo overall. But again, I didn't think the improvements were enough (based upon my research) to justify the much greater expense. And this time of year is a bad time for such a large discretionary expenditure, what with the holidays coming and other things I want/need to do.

The Duo is more than sufficient for my current needs and system. I got it at a tremendous discount also, so that made it easier. It's much simpler to operate than the Lumagen and I'm already familiar with it, so I took the chance and sprung. Of course, if the Kuro does die and I get a 4K set the Duo's useless (unless everything's set to pass through with no processing), but that's a chance I'm taking.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks