View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Listener in Training

Default WW ICs - cured a semi-skeptic

This past week has seen the completion of my components and I've got all-current Mc gear, which means you guys waiting for the MX-150 and MVP-881 won't have long now, thus making my stuff obsolete.

Getting the MVP-871 this week prompted me to dip the toes into the premium cable world and replace the mix of semi-generic ICs that I've bought over the years. I've kept the cabling for last, because my feeling is that the gear is generally more important, and premium interconnects are basically wasted on less-than-premium components. The WW ICs are below the Silver Eclipse line, but boy they've made a real difference, and having balanced XLRs for the stereo channel from source to pre to power amps brings more immediacy to the music. One thing I've noticed with the balanced interconnects is that the volume levels are maybe 80% of what I got before. I do get more detail at lower volumes, and don't come near to burying the meters when cranking it up.

Ivan was very helpful with the purchase, and I highly recommend Legend Audio & Video to anyone. I look forward to trying out the Eclipse line some day and hearing the difference truly top-end ICs can make. Their 'lower end' lines are nothing to be sniffed at!
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable