View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Anyone here roll power cords with their Inspire? Don't know Dennis' opinions on this subject. Personally, I never hear any sound differences between power cords. Stock vs $1000 cord - sounds the same to me. I do tend to swap out puny stock cords for sturdier 14AWG cords, just because I like to do that, and 14AWG cords are still only about $5 to $9.
Using aftermarket power cords seems counterintuitive to me (the power has to go through numerous conductors connected by mechanical means, through at least two circuit breakers, and terminating at a wall socket before it can reach the power cord. The power then goes through a few hundred yards of fine wire in the power transformer.). However, there are some people selling them whose ears I respect and who try to put out a lot of high value products.

Both Bottlehead and Wolfear Audio sell a <$100 power cable/kit. Again, intuitively I would expect the difference between a $10 cable and a $100 cable to be greater than the sonic difference between a $100 cable and a $500 cable. However I have no rational reason for this belief (other than financial self-preservation). It could very well be that one needs to spend >$100 to make an appreciable difference, but that difference may be huge.

I have only heard high-dollar power cables in systems in which the all the cable have been upgraded. If I were going to invest in power cables (as opposed to room treatments) I would want to be sure that spend an extra $1,000 on my system will be worthwhile. If I could, I would want to demo different cables with similar equipment.