View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 01:10 PM

First of all thanks everybody so very very much. The XVX sounds and looks (in my room) better than I could have ever imagined. I was secretly really worried about the looks. Would it dwarf my room? I have learned that mega speakers often are even larger in life, and when you really want something like an XVX, it's easy to delude oneself. The speakers look like they were custom made for my room.

I went for a long walk yesterday (1.5 hours by the clock). Nothing to do except get in the way. Why not? Just burn off some steam. I stayed in the study at the other end of the house secretly listening for a loud shout or crash as the woofer bins went up the stairs. Silence. It didn't happen and the floor and stairs held.

So why not go for a walk? Day was beautiful. Gorgeous. Perfect. Just a gentle breeze. Sunny and about 50 degrees. We have a mega patrolled neighborhood and I can walk for 15-20 miles safely if I want to.

So I go off on the walk after taking pics. I just couldn't take pics of the woofers going up the stairs. Too nervous. I was nervous. They had about 10 people working. Two were in the garage, doing nothing.

I returned expecting them to be making progress. They were finished! Totally and apologized about not being able to spike it any lower. They had already measured for somebody elses's ears to 37" and 137". Nope. I apologized but we had to have sound to fine tune and get my ear height and distance, exact, making repeated measurement after adjustments. This took maybe an hour. It really helps to know your room because I could imagine this could take hours otherwise.

I finally stopped listening at 4:19 am. I have never heard anything like these speakers. When you see them tonight (hopefully) notice that you wouldn't want them any closer to the sidewalls or any closer to the ceiling. There is plenty of room for the rear tweeter to breathe. Plenty of separation between the tweeters. The speakers wound up exactly where you would want them to and the spiking is so perfect. No diode or "all thread length" is used. Only the "spike thread length" and nut which gives me an extra inch. That extra inch was very important. I couldn't be more pleased.

This just goes to show you that sometimes when you take a huge chance, you can get a huge reward. But it took a huge amount of effort by multiple people to bring this off. I am grateful to Jim for speaking up and questioning the color which would have been black, if I'd had my way. I am most grateful to Wilson and my dealer who worked closely together to make this a total success beyond all my expectations. I've come a long way from the check out scanner at Walmart where the deal was struck to a perfectly installed XVX in my A-Frame upstairs mancave. Quite a journey.

I'm going out to eat tonight at the most expensive/exclusive restaurant in my city. They got an assortment of Bentley's, Rolls, Mercedes, Porches, etc. at the Valet. I tell the valet boys I got a speaker that costs more than any of them. I drive a Prius. I have a special table they reserve for me. They (the management and staff) all want to see my new speaker. Life and retirement is good!

Last edited by Charles; 01-01-2020 at 01:45 PM.