View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
All interesting arguments. At the end of the day, what would be easier from a stand point of improving "oomph" for classical orchestral representation: a more powerful amp or higher efficiency speakers, OTBE? This is for a near-field setup, of course. On that topic, what are the SQ tradeoffs with much increased efficiency speakers? Difficult questions, I know, but without the benefit of trial-and-error, I may have to resort to other people's opinions.
In your case I think a valid approach would be to keep your current speakers and amp, limit the low frequencies to the main speakers, and add active bass reinforcement below 100hz. The main driver in your Tektons will never be a 15" bass driver so you are fighting physics at the moment. If I were in your shoes, I would add 2-4 subwoofers to give foundation and impact to your current speakers.

While my Omega speakers get loud and proud, they lack the visceral midbass impact that only comes with being able to move more air. I address this in a couple of ways: by adding active bass support in the form of stereo servo subwoofers, and by adding "helper" drivers to my Omega speakers. In the case of the RS5-based speakers, I chose one of Louis "1.5 HO" models that doubles up the driver below 500hz. For my Super Alnico Monitors, I am using an Altec 414-8C as a helper midbass driver, driven off a separate amp. The SAM runs full range.