Thread: Subs for Salon2
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Well, it's taken some time to get the SB16 into the ballpark. I moved it out of the corner where it was just exciting the room too much. Things were shaking and rattling all over but no matter how I tweaked it I couldn't achieve a satisfying balance. A dB or two of gain would make the low end go flabby and nasty, while backing it off didn't achieve any obvious superiority. Having pulled it a few feet out into the room and adjusted the phase to match, it now aligns far better without exiting every resonance and mode the room has. I have yet to do measurements (so lazy!) but I am picking up a JL F113v2 today or tomorrow and will have the ability to run them off against each other. In the meantime, the SVS has rendered a pleasant and significant improvement with judicious application of the loud knob. My current gain settings on it range around -10dB at which level the low end is round and full but retains audiophile grade crispness and timbre. I have not touched the PEQ yet, but I am using the room compensation (set to 25Hz). One benefit: I play the system at generally lower levels than previously yet gain superior sonic satisfaction. I am eager to see what a measured alignment will yield, something the JL will do automatically but requires instrumentation with the SVS. You pay your money and take your choice.

Still have this annoying cold and it is no help!
I'm curious as to how the JL F113v2 will compare to the SB16. When I had SB13 Ultra's, I compared them to JL Audio F110v2s and strongly preferred the JL F110v2. I quickly sold my SB13s and purchased a pair of F110v2s.