View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 03:56 PM

Would like to add my experience with the Freya+ w/ standard tubes.

Ordered around June, had a long wait until early August (related to COVID parts issues i understand). So, been listening for about a month.

The setup is an ELAC Miracord 50 (on sale $420), JBL 305P MKII powered monitors ($280 pair), the Freya+ (list), and Blue Jean Cables LC-1 RCA + balanced XLR cables (<$150 all in).

Schiit was recommended by an SF-based friend who is deep in headphones. I liked their approach of compact, well-made products with a high sound quality to budget ratio. Seemed to me that the company found a good balance of small shop attention to detail and actual usability, and a good sense of humor.

I had considered other preamp/cable combos, a more simple Schiit preamp with unbalanced cables to go with the JBL's and Elac I already owned. But at the recommendation of Schiit, went with the balanced setup (aimed at the JBLs). They recommended Blue Jean cables.

I'm super happy with the sound, especially @ this budget. Impressive sound stage, clarity at volume, and range. It's simple to use, takes up very little space. The build quality seems quite high, the unit is gorgeous, the orange glow is soothing. The remote is pretty awesome, weighty and simple. It was a great surprise to realize its magnetic. The relay click of the volume is alien, and kinda cool. The Freya runs very hot, to the point i decided to isolate it from the wooden chest where it stands.

The system handles jazz, vocal, and the limited classical/opera I have tried quite well. Much of the electronic side of rock it handles well also - like Massive Attack's Mezzanine and LCD's Sound of Silver. Maggot Brain is quite nice, as are various steely dan's and such.

The system strains a bit with the heaviest parts of Dark Side and Wish You Were Here (180 gram re-releases) - when distorted guitar meets powerful low end, the mid-high's seem to get muddled (or dare i ask if the recordings aren't as good as we'd like to think they are?) At the same time, it handles GY!BE beautifully, as well as John Spencer BE's Orange oddly well.

This new compact setup is a departure from my previous hifi adventures. before, i had a home theater thing with CD as the primary music source. it was big and much more expensive (Roksan 5 channel amp, preamp and DVD player, Mission dual driver floor standing with upgraded internal wiring + surround + 20" sub, and some kinda silly-expensive cables and granite under the speakers - laughing at myself right now).

This is a different beast altogether. The enjoyment level is no lower than previous. Even a smart phone source is workable. And it's very nice to know that i can put this system into boxes in <10 minutes, carry it all to the car myself, and still have room for a keg in the trunk. I haven't tried it, but i'm pretty sure this system could run a kickass 30-50 person party.

Schitt's tech Q&A has been super helpful and responsive. Many thanks to Daniel. They have a customer service person who seems to be battling outrage (work by day, molotovs by night?) but, OK Karen.

Hope this post is a plus to Schiit as a company, and potential customers. Thanks.