View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 01:12 PM

Hey Ricjor1,
Have you happened to compare a Hurricane vs. Tornado in the same slot? I'm currently trying to make the decision of 2x Tornado vs. 2x Hurricane for my tube monoblocks, with a greater than $1K price difference between the two. I'm currently running NRG 1000 on the amps, and of course Audioquest suggested that even a Tornado would perform much better.

I hate doing critical comparisons of power cords, but I did a couple between Hurricane, NRG 1000, and NRG WEL - for the wall / Niagara 7000, and ARC Ref 6 preamp slots (those are 20A slots, for which I have all 3 models of power cords). I think the most notable difference between the cords is their level of smoothness. The better sounding cords are far smoother without sacrificing clarity and detail (if not enhancing it); they're also cleaner/darker between notes.

The NRG 1000 did not hold up well in this comparison, though admittedly against these very good cords; nothing stock or cheap here. In comparison, the NRG 1000 was rough and shouty, with reduced clarity and a bit of a flattened soundstage.

The Hurricane is the smoothest and cleanest sounding of the 3. The WEL Signature was quite close in smoothness, and perhaps (surprisingly) a bit more punchy sounding initially, but the Hurricane was not burned in at the time of comparison. It was pretty close to a toss up. I've left the Hurricane in the wall slot, replacing one of the WEL NRG, and now a month later my system has never sounded better! System musicality, detail, and 3D effect are off-the-charts good.