View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdland View Post
Hi Brad - yes I saw the various post regarding the GE 6550A tubes. I've also read that the GE tube is not necessarily a good fit for some of the ARC products or maybe they were bad tubes.

What about the fact that an audio research tech indicated that the GE 6550 tube was not a good fit electrically for the power supply? Do you still let them go for 2000 hours before replacing?
Birdland, I am not an E.E. but my gut tells me the build quality is much better with on the NOS tubes than current 6550s.

I'm concerned about any tube I put in my amps let alone tubes that are not from Audio Research. The GE 6550's are not something I would put in my power amps but I feel reasonably safe with them in my 40th Ann. pre.

Audio Research did use the 6550A tubes previously in equipment but stopped as the supply started to dry up and the cost was going to make it prohibitive.

If I bought a new ARC piece of equipment I probably would stay with their tubes until it was out of warranty for the obvious reason.

Prior to these 2 GE 6550A tubes for my preamp the only tubes I purchased from a source other than ARC were tubes for both versions of my LS25's .

Hopefully your button issue will be solved easily but my guess is something is clearly damaged.

Good Luck