Thread: dCS Vivaldi
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 09:01 AM

Default watch out for those sampel rates

Hello , this is my first post here.

The benefit if the dCS system clock is only realised when all boxes in the stack in operation are slaved to the clock. The file data rate is not the essential consideration.

In practice this means that the device rendering the music file has to have a wordclock input so that it can be slaved to the dCS clock.

I'll try to explain by example. Let us take a 48/96kHz file media streamer. The steamer does not have wordclock input. The 48 Khz pulse on the streamer's internal clock will not be in synchronisation with the 48kHz pulse used in the dCS DAC ( even if derived from the system clock) even though both are running at the same rate and are stable.

So if the DAC is set to Synch to the wordclock then the incoming data stream from the steamer will be out of synchronisation with the timing of the pulses in the DAC. Eventually you will hear a glitch as the two drift further and further out of synchronisation with each other.

If the DAC is accepting data from a source that is not slaved to the SAME clock as the DAC you should set the DAC to synch Audio.

I too thought that if I had any e.g. 48kHz or multiple thereof file then I should set the clock to 48kHz. It took me a while and a long conversation with dCS before the light bulb lit.

Anyway have a great time with you new purchase.