View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 02:37 PM

Post Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
For Marantz, the AV-XXXX products are Preamplifiers/Processors. The MM-XXXX products are their power amplifiers.

You are probably familiar with the term ‘Receiver’. Think of a Receiver as three discrete products in one. A PreAmplifier, A Power Amplifier and an AM/FM tuner.

In recent years, the higher end market has generated products in each of those categories.

The term ‘Processor’ is focused mainly on a home theater Dolby video signals as well audio signals.

Tom and Kal are more expert in explaining this but this is a start.
crwilli...... We own a couple of Mac receivers. In fact, the MAC4100 is the receiver that "revealed" Mac to me in the first place. Long time ago, but a family friend had one in his duplex. It was connected to a pair of Altec monitors, so his "demonstrations" of the Power Guard circuit certainly were interesting...always made me wonder if the neighbors worked the night shift or not.

Okay, so here's where a question comes in. Given your explanation of the different categories, is a "pre/pro," as I've seen it described several times on the AAF, a stereo preamp that also has surround capability? Put another way, would our Mac MX-130 Control Center be described as a pre/pro in the latest lexicon?

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections