View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 10:57 PM

This thread has sparked my interest. My listening room, aka living room, is a big room, 24 x 34 with very high pitched roof ceilings (10-20'). My speaker's axis are parallel to the roof ridge line. I moved into this house several years ago with a pre-existing situation of one side of the ceiling having 2 in wall speakers and the opposite side wall (not ceiling) having 2 in wall subs. Not to waste speakers, I set up a separate amp and separate volume controls for these in wall speakers but I'm conflicted as to whether they add anything or just confuse the soundstage. I can easily turn them on or off and most (non audiophile) people say they open the sound up. The purist in me resists this idea. I have a separate home theater with multi channel so I can appreciate the benefit of surrounding speakers for film sound but really wonder about it for 2 channel listening. My habit so far is to turn them on for parties where people are wondering about but leave them off otherwise. Any thoughts ?