View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccidentalDB View Post
Does anyone know how the Dragon compares to the 1000 series? I've read that the 1000's technology was more "advanced" and was/still is more expensive than the Dragon, but does it sound better? Everything I read indicates that the Dragon is the "best," but is that relative to cost? Or in absolute terms?

Looking at my old mountain of cassettes and reading about these beasts it making me seriously consider getting one. While both are no doubt vastly superior to my JVC TD-W10, I only want to buy ONE four figure cassette deck.
The 1000ZXL is said to be the best of the best, the other 1000s are entirely different. Willy Hermann has also done a 1000ZXL where he put a Dragon transport in for lower W&F. For me, not worth the cost of a 1000ZXL or the potential service nightmares. Best also depends on what you want. I prefer my ZX-9 for recording since it has adjustable record azimuth. The Dragon doesn't have that, but of course has the NAAC for automatic playback azimuth adjustment. Both decks allow you to manually set bias/level for recording. The CR-7 does it automatically, for better or worse, with manual PB azimuth adjust. The RX-505 is a great playback machine and does a nice recording job with tapes it is calibrated to. That's why most tape junkies have multiple decks. If you mostly play your own tapes, I'd go with a ZX-7 or ZX-9. If you play a lot of tapes from other people/recorded on other decks/pre-recorded, I'd probably recommend a Dragon.